Tuesday 17 June 2014

June 17: Riots and Student Blogs #2

Riot in Curitiba
There was a riot in Curitiba yesterday. A small group of the violent protesters (who have, allegedly, been travelling around Brazil instigating trouble) tried to block a bus route to the game, tried to march toward the stadium, then smashed up a few buildings including my HSBC bank (although, who hasn't been tempted to smash the windows at their bank?). Despite the fact that it was a few blocks from my apartment and close to where I walked to the game, I knew nothing of it until I watched the nightly news. And even then it was the fourth or fifth item! I would describe this is a mini-riot. It would never happen in association with a sporting event in Canada. No, not on Whyte Avenue in 2006 or Vancouver in 2011. Oh...

Students' Blogs #2
In other news, the students have now written their second blogs for my course. Links below. Enjoy.






Finally... Brazil play tonight. I can guarantee one thing about the game. There will be fireworks. 

No comments:

Post a Comment